What is Soil? Overview
6th and 7th Grade
Students will learn about the components of soils, conduct a soil exploration lab, make a flipbook representing different types of soils and soil horizons, and analyze data in spreadsheets to learn about different species of bacteria in the dandelion microbiome.
- Students will explain the formation of soil and all of the components in the process.
- Students will identify the components of soil and be able to explain why soil quality is important in our lives.
- Students will analyze data using a spreadsheet.
- Students will revisit their inquiry questions from the Diggin’ Dandelions Lab and see what types of bacteria researchers have found so far in the dandelion microbiome.
NC Essential Standards
- 6.E.2 Understand the structure of Earth and how interactions of constructive and destructive forces have resulted in changes in the surface of Earth over time and the effects of the lithosphere on humans.
- 6.E.2.3 Explain how the formation of soil is related to the parent rock type and the environment in which it develops.
Next Generation Science Standards
- MS-LS2-1 Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem.
- MS-LS2-4 Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical and biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
- ELA-Literacy.SL.6.2 Interpret information presented in diverse media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and explain how it contributes to a topic, text, or issue under study.
- ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements or performing technical tasks.
- ELA-Literacy.SL.6.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 6 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- ELA-Literacy.SL.7.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- ELA-Literacy.L.6.1 / ELA-Literacy.L.7.1
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- ELA-Literacy.L.6.2 / ELA-Literacy.L.7.2
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- ELA-Literacy.L.8.6 Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.