Ratios and Proportional Relationships with eMammal
In this lesson, students will use actual data collected via the eMammal citizen science project to demonstrate their understanding of ratios, unit rates and proportional reasoning through calculating measures and explaining their thinking. Your class may use data collected from your own camera traps or from an outside source. Predictions made in this lesson may be compared against eMammal data collected from the same camera traps over the predicted time intervals, thus adding to the authenticity of the required tasks. This comprehensive lesson will identify any deficiencies in knowledge and/or misunderstandings about the learned skills and provide an opportunity for clarifications prior to the summative assessment.
- Students will compute unit rates with different units.
- Students will use proportional relationships to solve multi-step problems.
- Students will interpret quotients of rational numbers by describing real-world contexts.
Common Core Standards
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.RP.A.1 — Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different units.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.RP.A.3 — Use proportional relationships to solve multistep ratio and percent problems.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.NS.A.2.B — Understand that integers can be divided, provided that the divisor is not zero, and every quotient of integers (with non-zero divisor) is a rational number. If p and q are integers, then -(p/q) = (-p)/q = p/(-q).
Interpret quotients of rational numbers by describing real-world contexts.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.NS.A.2.D — Convert a rational number to a decimal using long division; know that the decimal form of a rational number terminates in 0s or eventually repeats.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP1 — Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP2 — Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP3 — Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP4 — Model with mathematics.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP5 — Use appropriate tools strategically.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP6 — Attend to precision.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP7 — Look for and make use of structure.
- CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP8 — Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Next Generation Science Standards
- MS-LS2-2 — Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystems.